Recipe by Sonali
This is a very old recipe which I have learnt from my grandmother. It is very strange that I didn’t liked this dish until I got married and shifted to a new city where getting Bengali foods was difficult.
Style: Traditional | Cooking time: 40 min
Gram dal/ channa dal – 250 gm
Cumin seed – ½ tsp
Cumin powder – 2 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Tomato ketchup – 2 tsp
Kashmiri red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1tsp
Salt &b sugar - as per taste
Green chili paste – 1tsp
Ginger paste – 1tsp
Potato – 2 medium size ( peeled and diced)
Oil – 2 tsp for curry
Oil – 1 cup for deep frying
Bay leaf – 1
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Soak the dal overnight and make a smooth paste of it.
- Mix salt in the dal paste and whip it.
- In a nonstick pan heat 1 tsp oil, add cumin seeds to it. Let it splutter then add dal paste to it.
- After frying take it out in a flat plate, spread it evenly to make a bed of it.
- With a knife cut cubes from the dal bed.
- Heat enough oil in a pan for deep frying. Fry the dal cubes and keep aside.
- In another pan heat 2 tsp oil and add cumin seed, bay leaf let it pop.
- Now add potatoes and fry them lightly.
- Add ginger paste, chili paste, tomato ketchup and all the dry spices mixed with water. Fry the masala well till the oil oozes out.
- Now add a cup of water, bring it to boil and add the dal cubes. Cook for couple of minutes, sprinkle garam masala powder, and serve it hot with rice / roti.