Recipe by Koushik
A completely different mutton/ lamb recipe. Mutton cooked without onion & garlic, sumptuous on flavor but easy on digestion. I leaned it from my father which inherited from the olden day Goddess Kali puja bhog cooking style.
Style: Traditional | Cooking time: 40 min
Mutton / Lamb – 500 gm, cut in pieces
Potato - 2, medium, peeled and cut in half
Cumin seed – 1 tbsp
Mustard Oil – 4 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
Green chili paste – 2 tsp
Ginger Paste – 2 tsp
Black pepper powder – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – I tsp
Cumin powder – 2 tsp
Vinegar- 1 tbsp
Whole green chili – 3 to 4
Salt to taste
Sugar – 1 tsp
Bay leaf - 1
- Wash mutton pieces, squeeze excess water and keep aside
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add whole cumin & bay lest and let it pop, then add ghee.
- Now add mutton pieces, fry the mutton pieces well until its golden brown ( around 10 mins)
- Add potato pieces, ginger & green chili paste, sauté for a while
- Prepare a paste by mixing turmeric powder, cumin powder, black pepper powder, vinegar, salt and sugar with 1/3 cup water.
- Add this spice paste to the mutton, cook on low heat by covering the pot until oil separates from masala, and stir occasionally.
- Once the masala cooked well add 4 cups of water and whole green chili, close the pressure cooker and cook until 2/3 whistles.
- Serve hot with rice.