Recipe by Koushik
I have tasted lot of Rogan josh recipes which use onion & tomato messing with actual taste & punch. Try this authentic Rogan Josh recipe which I got from a 5 star chef. It’s different!
Style: Traditional | Cooking time: 90 min
Mutton ( preferably shanks) – 500gm
Hing ( Asafetida) – 1 tsp
Ginger Powder – 1 tbsp
Fennel seed powder – 1 tbsp
Kashmiri Chili powder – 2 tbsp
Javitri ( Mace) -1 flower
Black cardamom – 2
Green Cardamom – 2
Cinnamon – 2” stick
Cumin – 1 tbsp whole
Saffron – 1 tsp
Hung Curd – 2 tbsp ( optional)
Ghee / Mustard oil – 5 tbsp
- Spice mix 1: Take ½ cup water and mix Asafetida, Ginger powder, Fennel seed powder & Kashmiri chili powder, stir well to make a fine paste
- Spice mix 2: Soak Green cardamom, Cinnamon, Cumin and Mace in water for 15 mins, then drain the water and grind together to make a paste
- Wash the mutton and squeeze well to discard excess water.
- Heat oil/ ghee in a pan, add Black cardamom to crackle.
- Now add mutton pieces to the pan and fry until golden brown on medium to high heat.
- Add the spice mix 1 with saffron, cook for 15 mins so that masala get fried well
- Now add 3 cup of water and cover the pan; cook for 45 mins on low heat. ( in between check if it’s not sticking to the pan base)
- After 45 mins the gravy would have reduced to 1/3, then add curd and stir well for 5 mins.
- Now add the spice mix 2 and stir well, then add 2 cup of water; cover the pan and cook for 30 mins on low heat.
- In the meantime mutton would have absorbed all the spices and gravy got thicken, you will see the (red color oil) coming out properly.
- Your authentic Rogan josh is ready; serve with long grain rice or nun.
- Optional "Ratanjot" for more fiery colour