Recipe by Koushik
Kosha Mangsho is one the Bengal delicacy, flavorful yet simple. This recipe will surely impress you with its distinct aroma, balanced taste and texture.
Style: Traditional | Cooking time: 90 min
Mutton – 500gm
Potato – 2 medium sized, peeled
Onion – 2 medium finely chopped
Garlic paste – 2 tbsp
Ginger paste – 2 tbsp
Red chili powder – 1 tbsp
Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
Hung curd – 3 tbsp
Mustard oil – 8 tbsp
Bay leaf – 1
Cinnamon – 1” stick
Cardamom – 1
Clove – 4
Black pepper – 10
Nutmeg powder – ½ tsp ( optional)
Sugar – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
- Wash the mutton pieces and marinate it with Ginger paste, Red chili powder, Coriander powder, Turmeric powder, 1 chopped onion, 3 tbsp Mustard oil and curd and keep aside for 30 mins
- Grind together Cinnamon, Cardamom, Clove and Black pepper with little water to make garam masala paste
- Now take a pressure cooker and heat 5 tbsp mustard oil, add bay leaf and sugar.
- After sugar get caramelized, add 1 chopped onion and fry till golden brown, then add garlic paste and potato; fry for a while.
- Add marinated mutton pieces, saute for 10 mins on high heat.
- Now add salt and cook on low heat until the oil get separated from the spices ( it could take 30 mins), stir occasionally in between
- Add the garam masala paste ( optional nutmeg powder)
- Now cover the pressure cooker; turn off the heat after one whistle.
- Mutton Kosha is ready, serve it with long grain rice